Saturday, October 29, 2011

Creamy Apple, Pumpkin and Delicata Squash Soup

Fall cooking is my absolute favorite! I adore creating filling, warming, sweet and savory creations that taste decadent but pack a nutritional punch, which is why I was so excited to participate in Swanson's Blogger Recipe Contest! I love shopping at Swanson Health because of their wonderful variety and incredibly low prices- check them out! This recipe is as simple as can be- I'm a HUGE crockpot fanatic, but if you don't have a crockpot this could also easily be adapted for a stovetop. 


It is with much pleasure that I present to you my 
Creamy Apple, Pumpkin & Delicata Squash Soup!


Get the Ingredients for My Recipe from Swanson Health Products:

Organic SpicesNuts Seeds

-1.5 cups canned pumpkin
-2.5 cups 0% Greek Yogurt (I used Fage)
-1 Delicata squash
-6 small-medium sized apples (variety is great- I used Macs and Empires)
-1 cup water
-2 heaping tablespoons NOW Nutritional Yeast Flakes
-1 tablespoon Swanson EFAs Certified Organic Milled Flaxseed
-1 tablespoon Swanson Organic Garlic Powder
-1 tablespoon Swanson Organic Agave Nectar
-1 tablespoon cinnamon
-1 tablespoon curry powder
-1 tablespoon Soy Flour (can substitute with most any flour)
-shaved carrots and asiago (or another sharp cheese) for garnish

1. Get your game face on.

2. Rinse and half a beautiful delicata squash! Scoop out the seeds (for roasting, if you wish)! Place squash halves face down in a microwave safe dish with 1/4 inch water and microwave for 10 mins. Scoop out squash meat.


3. Rinse, peel, core and slice apples.


4. Combine all ingredients in a crockpot set on high, stir well, and leave for 2 hours.

5. Remove from heat, blend and garnish with carrot shavings and shredded asiago cheese!

6. Rejoice and stuff your face!


I recommend this for an appetizer or side dish- it's VERY rich. If you'd like to serve it as an entree, I'd suggesting adding chunks of roasted squash or pumpkin or perhaps a protein- chicken, white beans... to break up the richness... 

Give it a try and let me know how it turns out!

What's your favorite fall soup?