Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Zucchini Bowl- Or the day that my life changed forever.

I'm in an odd, transitional place, in terms of living and employment. The lack of structure (after spending 2 years in an INTENSE and comprehensive Master's program) is overwhelming. My theatre work has kept me sane. We were off from rehearsal last night, so I headed over to Qathra to get out of the house and spend some time working on my script. I love that they use local Battenkill Valley Creamery's products and brew Counter Culture's ethically sourced coffee!


They've got some delicious iced coffee and a sweet, peaceful back yard. 


It was warm, but the sun was setting and I was in the shade.


I worked all the way through my script, making notes of questions and thoughts. We'll be doing more table work at tonight's rehearsal, so I'll get to ask them then. When the mosquitoes came out, I headed home. 

And that's when it all began.


I had seen this on a few food blogs and observed my roomie enjoying it the other night and thought to myself, "Self, that seems like something you'd like."


My new roommates have the most amazing kitchen gadgets on earth. It's true. Everything. Everything. We've got a big (by Brooklyn standards) kitchen, and we USE it! 


I popped a raw, cold, rinsed yellow zucchini in the spinny-slicey thing. This is it's scientific term. 


I cooked up some of this bangin' chicken sausage.


Poured on some of my boy Paul Newman's Sockarooni pasta sauce.


And watched my wildest dreams come true!


 Topped with some pecorino romano. IT SATISFIED MY PASTA CRAVING. I'm not even joking. For serious realsies. I mean, yes, you're aware that you're eating raw zucchini, but I was not at all disappointed, nor did I feel unfulfilled. Admittedly I think my favorite part about pasta is eating a bunch of sauce, but with that in mind, I may never eat pasta again!* (*That's totally untrue. I have no desire to stop eating pasta. But this is a great substitute and I will eat zucchini like this ALL THE TIME now.)

***

I watched another food related documentary last night- Kings of Pastry, which follows 16 chefs as they prepare to receive the title of Meilleurs Ouvriers de France (Best Craftsmen in France)- an extremely prestigious honor. I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, but I enjoyed it still. I went to sleep feeling hungry and inspired. 

***

I hit the gym early this AM. I don't have my iced coffee system in place in my new apt, so I've been stopping to buy one on my walk to the gym, which is getting expensive. STOP IT, KEELIE. Ok. I feel better. 


Today's workout consisted of 45 mins of cardio (on the elliptical, again, for reasons I'll explain later), followed by some LEGS, BUTT and a serious stretch down. I mean, come on. If they turn the lights off in the aerobics studio, I'm GONNA dance. Let's be real.


***

I hopped home and heated up some leftover homefries with chicken sausage, tomatoes and avocado. And then I ate a spoonful of maple cream. And now I'm happy.


Have you experienced the zucchini pasta magic trick yet? Can you teach me something similarly amazing to make today even more mind blowing than yesterday??!?!?!?!