Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Greek Yogurt Granola Pie

I am so. so. so. so proud of myself. I'm a mad scientist in the kitchen.

Sometimes it's disastrous, but sometimes it's exquisite! This recipe is one of the latter, thank goodness!

This dish was developed out of a desire to use things in my fridge and conveniently covers my love for things that taste like dessert but can be eaten for breakfast, guilt-free AND gluten-free (I'm 99.9999% positive on this- if any of these ingredients look suspicious, let me know in the comments). Get ready. 

Greek Yogurt Granola Pie

CRUST

1 cup quick oats (not intentional- I thought they were regular oats but I guess I bought the wrong kind)
1/4 cup crushed raw almonds (food processor works well)
1/4 cup unsweetened dried coconut
2 tbsp ground flax seeds
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp Sun Crystals (equivalent to 2 tsp sugar)
sprinkle cardamom
1/4 c applesauce
1 tsp coconut oil

Preheat oven to 300F. Mix dry ingredients. Add applesauce and coconut oil. 


Roll mixture into a ball and place in a lightly greased pie dish. Flatten, raising edges slightly. 
Bake for 10 minutes.

FILLING

1 cup greek yogurt
1 tbsp Polaner All-Fruit Sugar-Free with Fiber Seedless Raspberry Preserves *GF*
1 tbsp TJ's Fig Butter *GF? Ingredients are- figs, water, sugar, lemon juice concentrate and pectin)*
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg yolk
1 tsp soy flour
8 drops French Vanilla Stevia

Combine all filling ingredients in a bowl, mix well. Pour into pre-baked crust and bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool and then refrigerate before serving.


Makes 8 servings. 140 calories, 8g fat (mostly from flax, almonds, coconut oil...), 3g fiber, 6g protein and only 3g sugar per serving! 

Double your portions for a breakfast meal with 12g protein, 6g fiber, 6g sugar, 16g healthy fats at only 280 calories!

As always, feel free to sub similar ingredients to customize your own version! Let me know how it turns out!