Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pot Luck Lovin'

I've been lacking in the posting dept lately- forgive me! Holy school-related craziness... Annnddd.... breathe. 

Yesterday was a stay at home and bust out some work day- I selected what I thought would be a quick and easy lunch... 
 It was certainly delicious, but easy? ummmm....
 Oops. Note to self- unless a package explicity states "microwave uncovered", then always, always cover it.  Lame. 

In the late afternoon I called it a day- I got a lot done, but  my to-do list is still a mile long... I stopped early so that I could start preparing for my classmate-potluck!

First up: Sweet Bonbon Squash Curry!

In a crockpot, combine 2 cups water, 1 cup apple cider, one peeled and cubed bonbon squash, six peeled and chopped carrots, 2 minced/ pressed cloves of garlic, 2 tbsp peanut flour, 1 tbsp soy flour, 1 packet onion soup mix, 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon garam masala. Cook on high for 2-3 hours.


Bonbon squash are a lot denser than your average squash, which makes for insanely labor-intensive prep. They're delicious, so they're worth it, but holy moly, did this baby take a long time to dismember... I probably could have stabbed it with a fork and microwaved a bit to make my life easier, but I like to be difficult...


Next up- Delicata Squash Pizza! 


These beauties have a gorgeous, delicate flavor (hence the name...) and are so tender!

After rinsing and cutting the two squash length-wise, I scooped out the seeds and placed them face-down in a microwave-safe dish in about 1/3 inch of water and microwaved on high for 10 minutes. I used TJ's Herb Pizza Crust and scraped out the squash meat to spread like sauce on the dough. I added some TJ's Ginger Mango Chutney and topped with a bit of cheddar cheese. I threw this into the oven at appx 375 for 20 mins. Perfection.


And then my guests began to arrive! Patrick and Aaron were first- I wasn't totally done cooking, but they entertained themselves just fine...
 Wii Sword Fighting. Things got competitive. 

Jonny, Sarah and Andrea arrived soon after! Sarah brought these delicious mocha-brownies. So rich, chewy and flavorful!

Andrea brought fixin's for a salad! Yum!
 Finishing up food prep with my lovely ladies (Andrea- L, Sarah- Center). 

And then, it was feeding time! Patrick made some bangin' stuffed peppers and I whipped up some basmati to go with the curry. We were all happy campers- everything was delicious!

For dessert I whipped up a French Apple Cobbler using some of the apples from my apple-picking excursion (I followed the suggestions and doubled the topping but reduced the sugar for both the apples and the batter). 


 French Cobblers consist of a fruit mixture topped with a batter-topping...

The result is almost like a super moist dutch pancake or apple cake! Delicious!

Topped with a creme sauce- just heavy cream, vanilla and confectioner's sugar whipped together- a bit less airy than whipped cream!

Can you tell that we're obsessed with each other? We spend practically every waking moment together during the school week, but we still need to socialize. For realz, I love these guys. Mi acting famiglia. 
From L to R- Aaron, Jonny, Me, Patrick, Sarah and Andrea- the Brooklyn College MFA Acting Class of 2013, minus our homeboy Jeremy, who lives in Queens, which is the opposite end of the earth from my apartment in South Brooklyn. He was missed!

Do you host pot lucks? Have you attended one recently?