Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Product Review: Tempt Frozen Dessert Bars

I eat dessert every single night. In bed. Religiously. (And usually after lunch as well, but that's a different story.) While my mouth and tummy LOVE this habit, it's not terribly sustainable if you're not budgeting for it or working out like a maniac. Additionally, tons of dairy directly before sleep isn't a great idea for anyone (or at least, not me). Low-calorie dessert products aren't usually terribly satisfying, and frequently taste like the less-awesome cousin of their full-calorie counterparts so I was skeptical but curious when Living Harvest offered to let me sample some Tempt products, including their vegan, gluten, soy and tree nut free 100 Calorie Frozen Dessert Bars, I was excited to give them a try!

I stopped by Forces of Nature in Sheepshead Bay and selected the Vanilla with Blueberry and Pom Swirls. 

The nutrition info was pretty decent for dessert! And I know what every ingredient on the list is- always a good sign.


I was immediately impressed and how incredibly rich and creamy this bar is. I would definitely not have guessed it was non-dairy, vegan and soy-free. The blueberry pom swirls were sweet and tangy and cut through the thick and decadent vanilla perfectly. The portion size was perfect for me.

I'm fortunate to not have any serious food allergies, but my sister struggled with a severe lactose allergy for her entire childhood, so I know how hard it is to find quality replacements for food that "just don't taste the same" without milk. Similarly, those with diary and soy allergies are doubly restricted as soy commonly replaces dairy in many "dairy free" foods. My sister-in-law has severe gluten intolerance, and the random places gluten pops up in foods can be pretty mind-blowing. If you cannot (or choose not) to eat dairy, soy, animal products, tree nuts or gluten, THIS IS the dessert for you. And honestly, though I can and do eat all of those things, I'll probably buy these again, because they're darn tasty.

*Know that I did not pay for this product. Living Harvest provided manufacturer's coupons so that I could sample it and share my honest feedback with you. I was not compensated in any other way for this review, and the opinions expressed here are my own. If you have experience with this product, let me know! I'd love to hear your thoughts.*