Thursday, June 9, 2011

Guest Post- I AM A GEEKY, NERDY WEIGHT-LIFTER by Debbie Cohen

Please enjoy the following guest post from my awesome pal, Debbie. This lady is an inspiration, and throws up some SERIOUS weights!

If I can do it, anybody can. Nobody was more geeky, nerdy, and “unpopular” than me. My best friends were books. And yes, I always got picked last for any sports team in gym class.

Although I landed a secure job as a reward for my academic achievements, it wasn’t enough. I also wanted to look hot and still be able to eat lots of food. I am Jewish AND Italian so you can only imagine the food at family dinners.

In my infinite quest to lose 15-20 pounds, I did all the latest exercise crazes. Each one would have done the trick if I could only stick with it. I did the jogging thing, the aerobic classes thing, volleyball, softball, you-name-it-ball, and even joined a “Health Spa” but wound up using the whirlpool and sauna more than the equipment.

As I approached an age where I refused to admit my age, I accidentally discovered weight machines. I was living in an apartment complex with a free 24-hour access Fitness Center. It was limited, but I figured now there was no excuse. I can exercise practically at home whenever I wanted. 

I started off doing 30-60 minute of cardio each morning, not knowing that cardio on an empty stomach is a good way to burn fat. After getting bored with that, I ventured over to the contraptions. I had to read the instructions (I can’t do ANYTHING without a manual) but I figured out how to work the things. I also discovered that I LOVED LOVED LOVED watching myself progress by increasing the weight. I was becoming addicted to moving heavy things.

Not all of my friends were books and one of my human friends suggested I try a bodybuilding program. Again, not being able to breath without a manual, I did a lot of research, read MORE books, and found oodles of information on the Internet. In other words, I learned.

Twelve years later, I am still learning and still LOVE LOVE LOVE moving heavy things. I eat tons of food and my doctors are impressed with my medical test results. Most importantly, I feel good about myself. (Probably because I can now eat even MORE food than ever before).

The general population consists of too many out-of-shape people. I advise people (only when they ask) to choose a physical activity that you enjoy so you stick with it. It may not be the most OPTIMAL way to stay in shape but if you enjoy it then it will work best for you. There are so many choices out there: swimming, running, tennis, belly dancing, etc. There is no excuse for not being able to find ONE that you enjoy. If I can do it, anybody can.



Thank you, Debbie!