Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Summer food, summer workouts!

Last night's dinner- my hubs knows the way to my heart. Turkey burger with grilled pineapple and a side of kale chips. SO summery! :)

I had soaked some navy beans on Sunday, and was anxious to use them for something delicious... As I mentioned yesterday, I had seen a recipe for black bean brownies, and then this morning Averie of Love, Veggies and Yoga mentioned bean desserts, so I figured it was a sign! :)

I found this recipe and tweaked it a bit (as usual). They turned out pretty well- I hope you enjoy! :)

Keelie's Take: Banana-Bean Chocolate Chips
-1 cup packed brown sugar
-2 large eggs
-1/2 cup coconut oil (I might try cutting this with applesauce next time)
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-3/4 cup navy beans (cooked and pureed)
-1 cup mashed mostly-ripe banana (appx 2 large bananas)
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
-1/2 cup oats (not instant)
-1/2 cup chocolate chips (or more, depending on how wild you're feeling!)

Pre-heat your oven to appx 375 F

If you're using dried navy beans that you've soaked overnight, rinse and drain them and then put them in a covered microwave-safe bowl with about a cup of water and microwave for 4-5 mins on high. Drain excess water before pureeing. If you're using canned beans, simply rinse and puree. 

Set aside your bean puree, and mix together brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and coconut oil. When well combined, mix in pureed beans and bananas, followed by baking soda, flour, oats and chocolate chips.

I used regular dining spoons to scoop out the mixture onto baking sheets covered with aluminum foil and then baked for appx 12 mins (these set up nicely, so tapping the top should tell you if they're done).  The original recipe was for 24 cookies, but I ended up with 30. 

I could eat brown sugar like candy. Mmmm....
I used the expeller pressed, but virgin might taste good, too! :)
This was my first time using my KitchenAid Stand Mixer! :) I got it as a shower gift MONTHS ago but it's been so crazy around here I just now got to use it!  LOVE! <3
They turned out pretty well! Chewy but not too dense, sweet but not overtly so... My kind of dessert! :)

Let me know if you try them!!!!

I'm off to do today's running outdoors for my 1/2 marathon training- 5 x 400m at 5k pace... Seeing as I've never run a 5k and there's not an outdoor track nearby, I'm planning on guestimating distance and running as fast as I can. :) Wish me luck! 

Weight training tonight- I'm thinking of hitting the kettlebells HARD! :)

1 comment:

Katie ♥ said...

Those cookies looks so good!! I am hoping to get a kitchen stand mixer soon for a wedding gift!!!

I love your love story with Joe! Wow , so awesome he is pretty much the only serious guy you had, I love that! U did not have to go through a bunch of losers like me! ha!

Also you are seriously the sweetest! I dont rememeber how we found eachother's blogs, BUT I am so glad we did!!!

xoxo <3

Post a Comment