Tuesday, June 21, 2011

New Toy! I LOVE my Garmin Forerunner!

Best toy ever! I used it yesterday for the first time, and I'm in love. 

Bigger than a watch, but tightens to a pretty small circumference- I have TINY wrists and was able to secure it snugly. I'm a little concerned about the chest strap, though- it's as tight as it will go and so long as it doesn't stretch out AT ALL it should be ok...

I hit the road as the sun was going down last night for a 3.25 mile hill run near my mom's house. 

I LOVED getting instant feedback regarding pace, heart race, distance and time. It took quite a while to locate the satellite the first time, but once it had a signal I was good to go!

I've blogged about having a hard time with my workouts lately, and having the HR monitor has clued me in about accurately gauging the intensity of my workouts. I'd get into my running zone and be going hard any heavy for a few minutes and then glimpse down and realize my heartrate was blasting around 190... Pretty close to my max. It's suggested that you workout at 60-85% of your MAX heartrate (my calcuations put me right around 190) which for me would be between 140-166 BPM (approximately)... Oops. I'm confused, though, because at 166 BPM I'm not running terribly fast and honestly I don't really feel that I'm working too hard... I'm going to stick to this range tonight, but I have a feeling I'm going to beat myself up for feeling like a slacker- thoughts?

Breakfast this AM consisted of frozen bloobies, Greek yogurt and granola.

I'm getting ready to go meet a friend for lunch now- back later!