Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Brown Bags and Book Bags

I've drooled over their Dark Chocolate Trail Mix Bars and shed happy tears over the Dark Chocolate Almond Bar, but NuGo, this time you've truly outdone yourselves. I very nearly jumped for joy when their package of samples arrived in the mail. The NuGo Slim line contains no artificial sweeteners and checks in at a tidy 2g of sugar from dark chocolate and chicory root. These high fiber and high protein bars are Kosher and gluten free. 


They're also absolutely delicious- dipped in real dark chocolate with a dense, chewy center, this NuGo Organic Slim Brownie Crunch bar was like dessert for breakfast in the best way possible. 

 Sweet. Baby. Dinosaur. Look at those nutrition facts! SHAZAAAAAAAM! 9g fiber, 15g protein and only 2g sugar? And NO artificial sweeteners? Be still, my heart. 

I shared this deliciousness with my classmates on our break during Movement class and they gave the seal of approval. 
 Hooray, chocolate teeth! :)


I'm thrilled to be taking part in the Food Network's Healthy Eats Brown Bag Challenge! A message from Food Network:

Brown Bag ChallengeWe’re teaming up with fellow food bloggers to host a Brown-Bag Challenge, a month-long initiative to eat consciously and save money by packing a lunch each weekday instead of eating out. Join us here and share what you're eating on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtag #brownbag.

So far, I'm ROCKING the challenge! Homemade lunch EVERY weekday in September thus far! Wahoo!

Coleslaw veggies with sesame ginger dressing and a red pear. 

Rosemary and garlic quinoa. 

Leftovers from last night's baked curry tofu.

Lunch was great and fueled me through an exciting Acting class, in which we explored the ideas of how 'who' you are and 'where' you are affect your behavior.

I was ravenous when I arrived home, so I whipped up a super simple one pot dish!

Tabouleh: Latino Style!

Put 1 c bulgur wheat and 2.5 c water in a pot, boil, let wheat cook up and absorb moisture. Drain a can of blackbeans and add. Chop up 1/2 a large tomato and add to pot with cumin and garlic. Simmer together for 5 mins. Serve with avocado. Ole! A'jabani haqqan!

And look what came in the mail! My replacement bag from Brooklyn Industries


They have a lifetime guarantee on their bags- I received one as a birthday gift over three years ago and the zipper broke recently. I brought it in to get it repaired, and when they were unable to fix it, they offered to let me pick another bag FREE to replace it. 

I selected the Attache, and now have a beautiful, brand new bag for my school books. 
Now THAT's customer service. 

Did you have a homemade lunch today or did you eat out?

Any great customer service stories? I'm still fuming over my recent Verizon experience...

NuGo Organics sent me samples of their products free of charge to try. I was not otherwise compensated for this review- the opinions expressed here are my own.