Thursday, September 22, 2011

Guest Post: Aubrie from Drunk On Opportunity


As I've mentioned (a lot) recently, life is leaving me pretty overwhelmed. I'm inspired to hear how other people make time to take care of themselves despite their hectic schedules! The first poster in this series, my beautiful friend Stacie, was balancing graduate school and training for a bikini show. Regardless of your sport, diet or passion, I want to hear how you do it! If you have a crazy schedule and are interested in doing a guest post detailing how you stay fit, strong and healthy, email me or leave a comment!



Meet Aubrie from Drunk On Opportunity. She's also in the Graduate Theatre Dept in Brooklyn College- she's pursuing a degree in Theatre Management and I'm getting my MFA in Acting- but I've known her for a while in other capacities, too! We first met while competing in the Miss Greater NYC pageant and later discovered our mutual love of blogging and now we're at the same school! Awesome! This is her life!


***

I don't know about you guys, but I'm a much more efficient person when I'm busy.  When I have hours and days and weeks to get something done, I'll take it, but if I only have 30 minutes, I can get it done in 25 and check my facebook in the last 5 minutes.  This time around, however, I may have taken it a little too far.  I'm a full time graduate student.  I work 30 hours a week at a digital marketing company.  I'm teaching an undergraduate class (yes I give quizzes).  I'm training for a marathon (oops).  Needless to say, I'm spread a little thin these days, but I've found it's much easier to stay healthy if I plan ahead.  So here's what my average day looks like:


6:00am Wake Up 
I'm not this much of a morning person (8am is an ideal time to get up in my opinion), but marathon training demands it so I must obey.  My cat does not get up this early.




The first thing I do when I have a decent run on my morning schedule (more than 6 miles) is get a little something to eat.  I find that whole wheat toast with a little bit of fruit preserves gives me enough quick energy from fruity sugar and long energy from the whole grains.  Since it's super early, I usually only eat about half a slice before my run, and finish off the rest when I get back in.





6:30am Run
Today's run was a 7 mile tour around the neighborhoods of South Brooklyn.  It's pretty cool to see New York City this early in the morning.  I swear it's the cleanest it will ever be at 6:30 in the morning.  It's kind of magical.  It took me a long time to adjust to am runs, but it is SO worth it.


7:30-8:30 Get Ready for Work 
Since I leave for work at 8:30am and don't get home on a typical day until after 10pm, I carry a lot of stuff with me.  (Actually I just carry a lot of FOOD.)  I'm pretty sure that I'm the queen of tupperware:




From top to bottom, overnight oats with blueberries for breakfast, leftovers for lunch, salad with goat cheese, walnuts, dried cranberries, and mixed greens for dinner...plus a lot of snacks.  I have like a three gallon sized lunch box you guys, it's embarrassing, BUT, it allows me to save money and eat healthy alllll day long. 


9:30-5pm Work 
Not much to say.  I work.  During my lunch hour I'll eat outside if it's nice enough, and I often run an errand or two.


5-6:30 Dinner/Travel
Depending on the day of the week, my classes are either on campus or somewhere in Manhattan.  Sometimes this involves subway travel, other days I just mosie a few blocks away.  Again, if it's nice out I'll eat my dinner somewhere outside, but if not I typically eat at the beginning of class.  If it's a reallllly good day I'll meet a classmate or two for dinner (and drinks) before class.


6:30-9 Class
I'm studying Performing Arts Management so I take management classes and theater classes.  For a type-A theater geek like me, it's a dream come true.  I'm passionate about providing opportunities for artists to connect with audiences and everyday I'm getting the tools I need to make it happen.  So. Cool.


10pm Home Sweet Home
When I get home I often have some last minute homework to do, or emails to check, but some nights I get to watch a little tv, read a little bit, chat with friends or hang out with my roommate.  I almost always have a snack when I get home (this week it's been Ben and Jerry's Bonaroo Buzz omahgah) with a cup of herbal tea to unwind.


11pm BED
On the day of the week that I teach, I don't go into the office at all, so I get at least one weekday that mixes things up. Since my weekdays are so busy, I really try to keep my weekends as open as possible.  I love to spend  Saturdays and Sundays relaxing with friends, catching up on homework, taking leisurely trips to the grocery store and cooking/prepping as much food as possible for the week... oh and going on long runs.  Nothing leaves a busy week behind you like a loooooooooooooooong run.