Saturday, September 3, 2011

Week One Over and Done!

Ahhh.... Friday- no classes! Wait- what? The MFA directors want us to come to their Friday class? ....Sure! 

Things were getting DESPERATE in my kitchen- my fridge and cupboard were EMPTY. I found these mini-honey whole wheat bagels in the freezer (I honestly cannot even tell you when they were purchased) and toasted them up, topped with a bit of peanut butter and sunflower butter for a quick energy boost before heading over to the college. 

We had a blast with the MFA Directing students! We did an extended warmup with them (if you've ever done theatre, you know how ridiculous and amazing fun drama warmups are) and then participated in an exercise. We set up a "runway" with chairs and then littered it with found objects from all over the room. When it was sufficiently cluttered, one person was selected to be "air traffic control" and another was selected to be the "airplane". The airplane stood at one end of the runway and was blindfolded. Air Traffic Control picked a spot they thought they could see everything from (they couldn't move once they picked their spot). The objective was for the controller to verbally direct the blindfolded airplane down the runway without bumping into or stepping on any of the obstacles. We did a few variations (two airplanes at once, the director only speaking gibberish...). I'll write more about this exercise on my acting blog- it was AWESOME!

After we finished with the MFA Directors, my classmate Aaron and I headed to the cafeteria for lunch. Pickings were slim, especially because it's a holiday weekend, but I got a ham, roasted red pepper, green pepper, lettuce and tomato sandwich on a multi-grain hero. It wasn't bad, but I'm protesting because the cashier lady charged me $1.50 more for my sandwich than she charged Aaron- and his had more stuff on it!  I mean, yes, he's handsome, but COME ON!  


And then we were off to the beach for some much needed R&R after our amazing but intense first week. 

After taking a quick dip and falling asleep on the beach doing some homework we were joined by another classmate- Patrick! 

My adorable beach buddies- aren't they cute?

 Patrick and I striking poses!


 I don't really want to punch Aaron in the face...usually... This was just for dramatic effect!
 Aaron and I doing the pageant pose... I'm a little better than him at it, but I've had practice...

On our way home, we stopped at the Mr. Softee truck. Mmmmmm...

When I got back to my apartment, it was time to address the sorry state of my kitchen. Do not judge me for the Gatorade stains on the bottom of my fridge. I'll clean them, I swear...
 Sad fridge. :(

So Joe and I went grocery shopping. It has been a reallllly long time since our last grocery trip (we've been traveling and out of the house a lot). Long overdue. 

Happy fridge! :)

We were both starving, so I set to work whipping up some dinner. I don't usually follow recipes, but I LOVE making them up! My criteria: wholesome, simple, quick, few ingredients. 

I love Goya's Roman Beans, and Nasoya's Soft Tofu was calling my name, so I decided on a Roman Bean and Tofu Scramble!
 Add a bit of olive oil to a pan and heat on medium, rinse the beans and add them to the heat, draine and crumble the tofu into the skillet, add garlic powder (or fresh garlic), cumin and curry powder. Cook for approximately 10 minutes uncovered, stirring/ scrambling occasionally.  Top with cheese, avocado or nothing!

I roasted some asparagus in the oven for a side. Simple, filling, delicious. 

And now, I'm off to the Mind the Art Entertainment Fall Retreat. We have a lot to discuss as a company about the future and our growth, PLUS I get to spend the day with some of my favorite friends... 

What do you have planned for this weekend? What are your favorite simple meals?